Shut the front door

You know how a couple of posts back I talked about what a glorious week I had?



I did not know the definition of glorious until this past weekend occurred.


On Thursday I got an invitation on facebook to go to a surprise birthday party that would be held on Saturday for one of my childhood friends in College Station (which is about 8 hours from Lubbock), and I thought, hey, I'm not doing anything this weekend, of course I will drive there to surprise him.


Then I thought...hey...my best friend Sydney lives there. I'm going to surprise her too!


(A little bit of background on Syd..)


Within the past month or so, we have skyped for just over 6 hours, and we've talked for the entire duration of these calls. Needless to say, we've missed each other. For some reason now more than ever before.

Anyway.


I made a call to another friend that goes to Texas A&M, Brandon, and I informed him of my plans to drive down the following afternoon, and asked that he make up some story about his "cousin" coming in for a visit that wanted to look at one of the girls' dorm.


So...I was off. I had been talking to Sydney all that day, she even asked me to skype when I got within an hour of my destination, I lied and told her I was busy.

Which...I suppose wasn't really a lie because I was busy. Busy driving, plotting, and smiling, because I'm about to see my best friend. WHICH, as you guys could probably pick up on from my other posts, I love my friends a whole lot. Especially the ones that I never get to see anymore since I exiled myself to west Texas


BEHOLD HER REACTION:






It was all I could have hoped for and more. What I meant by "more" is that I did not want us to knock heads. No bueno.



But I got over that quickly and spent a total of about 8 minutes with her, because Brandon and I parked in 15 minute parking, and Sydney had other plans (which, in her defense, she tried to get me to go), and Brandon and I had bigger fish to fry.



And by bigger fish, I mean coffee shops to sit at and ukuleles to play. 






WHICH, if we are facebook friends, Brandon put up a video of us playing Umbrella. Rather, us being completely ridiculous and sort of singing sort of playing sort of screeching Umbrella at 3 o'clock in the morning.


Rihanna would be so proud.


Or offended. 


Whatever. 



THE FUN DID NOT STOP THERE.


The next day I actually got to hang out with Syd.


And wear shorts. 


Which seems odd to be excited about...but I've been living in 30-50 degree weather, so the idea of 67 degree weather thrilled me, and I was prepared to take full advantage and soak up as much vitamin D as I could.


The first order of business was to go to the surprise 21st birthday party for my friend, where we had some good convos, ate some good barbecue, and chased small children.


Fret not.


We knew the children, so it was okay.


It was nice to catch up with KP, and his family, but we had to leave early because Syd had an upcoming test that she needed to prepare for.


Just kidding. We both really needed to study. It was not her fault. Just giving her a little grief.


So, Syd and I set out with our backpacks, water bottles, and ukulele....to go study.



Okay. So that part wasn't that fun...but it was such a gorgeous day that it overrode the mundane task of going over notes from class.



SO- I will skip over that and move onto the events of Sunday.


SIDE STORY- About 4 hours outside of College Station, I started sneezing a ridiculous amount. Typically, I only sneeze two times in a row, (three times if I'm sick) but the sneezes were constant.


And my nose was like "This is my time to shine...I'm going to run as fast as humanly possible."


Like a track star. Not okay.


Moving along, Sunday, we got up to go to church, and had one red eye and my voice sounded like that of Courtney Love. Sounds terrible right? Even worse- because we had plans to go to Austin after we went to church. In an attempt to remedy the situation, we made a mad dash to CVS to grab some Visine, allergy medicine, cough drops, and some orange juice.


Over the duration of church and the drive to Austin, my eye went back to normal, I had stopped coughing/sneezing, and my voice was starting to sounds less like Courtney Love and more like Courtney Cox (just a little squeakier than normal). 


We drove straight to my friends dorm, and were greeted with the open, poison ivy covered arms belonging to my friend Ryan. I mean, really. Covered. Poor thing. It was like looking at a man child with a severe case of the chicken pox. 


...anyway.

We were joined by more hometown friends for lunch, a bit of walking around, and some mystery ice cream.


It is a mystery because they had freaky flavors like "Goat cheese" I know what you are thinking...who on earth would want to eat goat cheese ice cream? Nathan, that is who. 


Weirdo.







ANYWAY, we had a brilliant time. Even if I only go to see the UT goers for a couple of hours, it was definitely worth the drive.


Good weekend all around.


This weekend is going to have a hard time standing up to it. (BUT, this weekend will still be pretty fantastic because my parents are coming into town)

I know I haven't talked about them much on here, but they are awesome. The coolest ever. 

Really.


You know what else is awesome? 


EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE VIDEOS: (or at least 5 of them)














I'm really sorry about all of that.


If you are wondering if that was a sincere apology or not...


The answer is that it definitely was not.




Things I love about today:
1. My parents' safe arrival in Lubbock
2. Jimmy Fallon
3. THE FACT THAT SPRING BREAK IS EXACTLY 1 WEEK AWAY
4. All of the wonderful friends I have seen within the past week.
5. Surprise bowling date dashes 
6. The fact that I missed my first blizzard in Lubbock! (Thank goodness)

(adding to that number 4)

I mean really, I got to see the friends that I blog about missing frequently plus some! It was superb. 




ONE MORE THING: 


It is finally public information that one of my sisters is going to have a little one in September! Congratulations to Amanda and her husband Neil! 

(This is the picture that she posted on facebook a couple of nights ago to alert the social media world of the fact that she's got a bun in the oven)


Pretty adorable, right?



Alright, that's it.


Have a glorious weekend, kids. 


Make good choices.

Comments

Popular Posts