Give me a J

This summer has been arguably the most incredible summer of my entire life.

Which is saying a lot, because I'm a huge fan of Disney World.

The events that went on far surpassed any blockbuster, the people that played a role in making it so wonderful are better than any imaginary friend that the most creative child in the entire world could conjure up, and I've fallen further in love with a God who 100% blew my mind and about 20+ feet out of the water. 

This summer reminded me that life is a trip, that life throws you into the craziest events at the most random of times, and that life is utterly unpredictable. I love living. And I love camp.


I was reminded of the beauty of life, the value of relationships, and the marvelous characteristics of our awesome God while at a place that has been near and dear to my heart for many years, Camp of the Hills. This year, however, was a whole new world. I finally got to go beyond the kitchen, and be a counselor, which is something that I've wanted to do since I was 14ish years old.





Guys...what an eye opening month. My only regret was that I did not spend my entire summer loving on these beautiful children.









Which, if you know me well, you are more than likely aware of the fact that me calling children beautiful is super weird, because if you had asked me how I felt about children about two months ago, my response would not have been a positive one. I thought that they were whiney and needy...which still holds true, but so am I at times, so I figure that is not reason enough. It only took a week in Honduras and a month at camp to change my opinion, but man did it change. Sure, during the time that I spent at camp, I dealt with many bad attitudes and a lot of homesickness, but the opportunity to see my sweet campers smile and have a freakin' blast is well worth the frustration. I fell in love with watching them worship and getting to know their hearts.


As I mentioned in a previous post, this was not the plan. I was going to Thailand to play with some elephants, and I was distressed when that plan fell through, God had different arrangements in mind, and boy am I thankful for that.



I wish I could say that after 20 years of being a Christian, I had mastered the “wait patiently and trust completely in the perfect timing of God”.  But I can’t always do that.  


I can, however, look back at time and time again in my life when I was SO THANKFUL for His perfect timing. Like this summer.


Times when He didn’t listen to me saying “now!” and times I’ve thanked Him for not giving me what I thought I wanted or needed.  I wonder how many more years it will take me to stop thinking I know best- that I know what I need right now? That if He doesn’t hurry and do what I want, the opportunity will be gone… And yet, even still - with all that “hindsight,” when I am faced with new challenges I still tend to think I know what’s best.


Which sucks, because it always seems to be better in the end when it wasn't my plan at all.


Like the past couple of months.


Because now, looking in the rearview, it was perfect.


He's a funny dude, God is. The way that he takes situations that I think are going to be absolutely terrible, in this case, a summer that just seemed to not be going my way, ended up being exactly what I needed. I had no earthly idea that so many close relationships were going to form. These people were loving, honest, and just overall good friends. I do not always surround myself with folks that are the best for me, so stumbling across a group of such genuine people was wonderful. Then take into account that I got to spend an entire month with them? It was incredibly humbling.



Truly.


I can not accurately (or even come close, for that matter) express the impact that each person that I came into contact with had on my walk this summer. It was healing, both to my emotional and spiritual health, because the past year has taken a great toll on both, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this year plays out with my refreshed outlook.


I'm freaking psyched.



So- let me know if you do not have plans for the summer of 2014, I'd love to chit chat about camp, and by chit chat, I do of course mean that I will overload your brain with stories and wonderful things about camp.



I've got to cut this post off because it's about time that I start packing my stuff up for school, wish me luck.



Things I love about today:

1. Camp
2. Camp friends
3. Camp friends that live in Lubbock (I've got two of 'em!)
4. Reminiscing on camp memories
5. The fact that I am on fire, and rearing and ready to head back to school.


"And so with the sunshine and the great burst of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer"
-F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


And that sums it up.



Have a spectacular day, kids. I'll be confined to my room in an attempt to organize my life. 



Go read a good book. 


Like the Great Gatsby. Outside. (Hey, if I can't be outdoors, I may as well live vicariously through you).


Comments

Popular Posts