Tell Me Something Good

I’ll tell you something good: Life.



I’m in great spirits now that I am back in Texas. Sure, New York was cool- but it’s nice to be home. Before I jump into that, however, let me tell you about the remainder of our trip. First off- I went to MOMA with Mom for the purpose of seeing Starry Night in person, and it was absolutely lovely. Well worth the line. We also saw a show called Kinky Boots, which I really wasn't sure of to begin with- but it was superb. Check out that link, really, it was wildly entertaining. We also saw the Rockettes Winter Spectacular, which is a good show as well. (But to be perfectly honest, I would've been way more pleased with a nap). 





My dad, sisters, and Griffin went ice skating at Rockefeller Center while Mom and I enjoyed lunch at the cafe in the center (staying out of the cold as much as possible), and we got to watch them skate (quite well, I might add). OOH. And how could I forget. Lauren and I spent over $100 at the M&M store...sorry mom and dad...it was Lauren. You can see the guilt on her face in the photo below.








ANYWAY.


I'm going to move on to the real reason we were there: New Year's Eve.


Most people have it in their heads that if you go to NYC for New Year's that you SURELY must be standing outside waiting around for the ball to drop. 


NOT SO. 


Did you know that if you go for that choice, and you would like a decent spot to stand, that you should be in Times Square by 8 am? And if that wasn't enough...you're closed into little "pens" of sorts UNTIL THE BALL DROPS. Then, you are expected to stay in your pen? No. No no. That's an awfully long time to be that close with that many strangers. Now, while I understand the appeal, I learned that the best way (at least for my family) is to stay in and look upon the madness from our hotel. We went to a fancy pants party at the Marriott Marquis and had a perfect view of the festivities below- performances by Macklemore and good ole' Miley, people going crazy...perhaps it was the cold. Or the alcohol. Or a dangerous mixture of the two. While we did not get to experience the excitement of the concerts up close...I'm not complaining with how we went about the evening. 








It was an exceptional evening. The food, the drinks, the music- all phenomenal. The entire event felt kind of like a movie. Not that I was star struck or anything, it was just all very different from what I'm used to. New York does it differently than Texas. 



Now that I'm back and home, the first thing on my agenda was to open my jar! You know, the jar I made last new year's? I've been filling it up all year with little notes and mementos from fun days, dates, special occasions, spontaneous trips, and so on and so forth. I had been looking forward to the moment that I could open that jar for months...even though I knew what it contained.


So what did writing down the good things teach me? A lot more than I could have hoped. While I lived through the memories that I wrote down, there are some things, smaller things, that slipped through the cracks. 


I am well aware that I say this a lot, but I think it's worth repeating.


Hell, I think it's worth shouting from the rooftops.


I've been blessed with some remarkable people in my life. People that truly care, love life, and enjoy shenanigans of all types. 


In my jar, there were not just joyous memories- there were notes that reminded me of troubled times and heart breaks. So, why is it that I chose to remember those times? The people that helped me out in the aftermath.


A good friend of mine (who is incredibly musical, and really into analogies) once told me that life is like a piano. There are white keys, and there are black keys. The white keys represents happiness, the beauty in life- while the black keys, as you've probably caught onto by now, represents sadness. And as you go through life, you must remember that the black keys make music as well.


As cheesy as it is, I think about it often. There is so much truth in it. So, how does this relate to why I put seemingly negative memories in my happy memory jar? WELL. Let me tell you. The nature of those memories changed because of the fine folks that are close by my side. 


There was, for instance, a time this past semester when someone that I cared a lot about hurt my heart. Like, the kind of hurt that makes you feel the pain in Adele's and T Swift's songs, you know? I hope you don't. ANYWAY. It sucked. Heartbreak sucks. But you know what doesn't suck? Friends. Friends who make you laugh,.Friends that drive to your house, in the snow, without being asked or prompted, with two pints of ice cream (because he doesn't know what kind you like), to just be with you. That memory trumps the upset. It may seem like a silly thing, but it really meant a lot. 




The little things that people do, things that come naturally, are so incredibly beautiful. Always remember those moments. 


There are many more, but why spend time reading mine when you can be out being that person for someone else? Be the friend that your loved ones never forget. A great deal of you probably already are.



Alright. You know how I like lists...so here's another one. This one contains the things I learned just from rummaging through my jar:


First off...shit happens. Sometimes, the best thing we can do with this knowledge is accept it- and work hard for better days. Look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Talk to someone you love and respect. Ask for guidance. Odds are, they know this truth and have for a very long time.
 
Be honest with your feelings. This can apply to so many facets of your life. And do yourself a favor- LET IT. Don't mask things from others (or from yourself), it only makes things difficult for you later. So, it could make things difficult now, but as shrek once said (or perhaps more than once...), better out than in. Sure, he's talking about belching, but it totally works here to, don't you think?

I spent too much time looking for more, instead of appreciating what I already had. I think it's safe to say that many of us do this. I'm the type to daydream about what could be, what the future could hold, often leaving me feeling that what I have going on at that point in time is just sub par. And I ignore the good that I have been blessed with trying to get something out of reach that is not meant for me

Every moment presents an opportunity to learn. Whether you are learning a skill, a trick, or something more...like an emotion. Compassion. Love. Trust. Give in to the experience, whether the outcome is not what you desired or anticipated. 


Things I love about today:
1. The unconditional love that my friends show me 
2. The fact that I got to leave the snow in NY. (I REALLY do not like the cold..)



Have a glorious day, my friends.




Comments

Popular Posts