What the Ship

I’ve got to tell you all something.


Seasickness is NO JOKE.


Today has been an exceptionally difficult day, because the pacific is shaking our ship like it’s a polaroid picture. Due to the face that my one of my sisters worked on cruise ships, I made the assumption that I would be fine and dandy.


NOT SO.


Unlike a few of my friends on this voyage, I DID manage to make it to all of my classes without have to run out! I believe it is quite the accomplishment…but after class is where my trouble began.


I stumbled back into my room- and when I say stumbled, I do not mean that I’m just going for an interesting word usage. I really mean that walking around on this ship (at least for today) has felt like I have consumed four sizeable margaritas and can’t help but to zigzag through the halls


I sat on my bed to recollect myself…and wound up in bed. It seems the only thing that could take away my seasickness entirely is to sleep.


So I did what any normal person would do. I took not one, but TWO naps.


After I woke up from the first, I was feeling pretty good- so I got up, had lunch, and went to my world religions class. I’m not sure what it was about the classroom I was in, but I could feel every wave…and it was not a good feeling.


I carefully made my way back into my room, immediately planted a seasickness patch behind my ear, and crawled into bed for a second time. The way that rooms are positioned…your bed is not rocking side to side as if in a cradle- more like laying down on a seesaw an experiencing your feet and your head tilting up and down.


Sounds pleasant, right?


Anyway, I eventually fell asleep and woke up still not feeling like myself. I then decided it was time to do something different- I must got outside! Which that was a great move, because not only did the fresh air do me a great deal of good, but I also ran into a girl that I had met the night before (we were both singing along to Living on a Prayer playing through the speakers). It was one of those moments where you knew that you would without a shadow of a doubt get along with that person. So we went off to dinner (still feeling quite queasy), and sat with a couple of random girls who both had a day like me. Perhaps worse.


But you know what? Every bad feeling (okay…not all of them) vanishes when you meet people that are experiencing the same thing at the same time. We’re all in this together (cue HSM soundtrack).


Apart from seasickness, we are also experiencing a new way of life together. Sure, there are a decent number of students that came on this voyage knowing at least one person, but for the most part each of us have been thrown into a new sea of people (pun VERY much intended). I thought the concept of approaching strangers to join them at mealtime was an odd one- but it’s so easy because everyone here is so open to meeting new people. I’ve dined with professors, lifelong learners, their children, and students from so many different countries and walks of life. And then once these relationships have formed and you see one another around the ship- it just makes me happy.


 All of these folks, the fact that soon(ish) we will reach our first port, and the prayers of many for safe and healthy travel have gotten me through this. Thank you all so very much. Shout out to Mark…who has listened to me complain so you all don’t have to see it full force.


Things I love about today:
1. The makers of seasick patches
2. Calm seas (I’ll never take them for granted EVER again)

3. The fact that we will be on land in 3 days. I will lay down and hug the sweet, sweet, unmoving ground.

Comments

Popular Posts