Sling it on

As far as plans go- I didn’t really have any.

I’m not sure how some SAS folks pack up a bag and throw it on their backs for the week having no knowledge as to what they’re going to do- let alone where they are going to stay.

I don’t even like going out for the day without some sort or plan or ultimate goal.

Which brings me to Singapore.

I was signed up for a field program called “The Footsteps of Raffles” – which I chose so I could go to the birthplace (and purchase) a Singapore Sling. Simply because I would be in Singapore…and I because I can. You know?

When else would I have that opportunity? Never. Never again.

SO ANYWAY.

Evidently, my fellow shipmates did not know the history behind the hotel- because not enough people signed up for it and the program got cancelled. And it was too late to make another plan. We were there during the Chinese New Year- so all of the hotels were booked. And I was not about to drop a grand on a hotel room.

WHICH, some people did….and then split the room and cost between 15. Yes, 15 people. In one room. Sure, it’s a large room…but that does not sound good to me.

SO.

I painted the town red (or perhaps a light shade of salmon) with Tricia and Scott.

Our first exciting decision of the day was to take a cable car over the city (as well as our ship)!


EVIDENTLY, this cable car company had a superhero theme- so we were each given a different mask (mine was superman) and we HAD to take a group picture with all of our masks!




We were joined by Sarah, Juan, Frances, Greg, and Max. We had a grand ‘ole time exploring- but there did come a time where we had to go our separate ways,

So- Tricia, Scott, and I began our adventure…

…by finding somewhere to eat.

We were told (frequently) to visit a Hawker center for meals, because it would be inexpensive and amazing. And those people that informed us of the delicious wonders they housed were so right. We had some bumpin’ pad Thai and pineapple rice. (Yes, I know, very Singapore of us)



Once we had refueled- we headed to our next stop…

THE ZOO.

Which, was really cool, because it was:

1)   Huge- and really impressive
2)   Had really cool open enclosures as opposed to cages
3)   Somehow had wifi coverage  all over the property
a.    WHICH, I understand sounds superficial- but wifi is a precious, precious gift. Yes, I’m aware that so is human interaction, but when you live on a ship without internet access for weeks at a time- I think I’ve earned the ability to talk to my palls I don’t get to see around the MV Explorer.

Anyway.

After a few hours of roaming and ogling at the animals, we were downright exhausted. (We almost fell asleep at the polar bear exhibit. Not because it wasn’t amazing- but it was also cold, and sort of dark. Perfect sleeping conditions)

So how do you fix that? Food? Coffee? No, no. We decided to return to the ship, nap, and regroup for dinner at heading to china town (to celebrate the new year, of course).

WHICH- was really cool. China town was lit up with hundreds of glowing red and yellow lanterns, music, and a bustling crowd.

We strolled up and down the street, and then decided that we wanted to ride the Singapore Flyer (the largest Ferris wheel in the world). We caught a cab and arrived in abou 15 minutes…which was 5 minutes after the Flyer stopped selling tickets and our cab driver was already out of sight.

Brilliant.

We walk around it (just to say we had been there), we found other SASers, and kept on wandering.

…which was an excellent decision because we stumbled across a New Year’s carnival of sorts.

And what do carnivals have? Awesome food.

There were fried Oreos (tasted like home- and my east coast friends found a new love)



....my personal favorite being an item affectionately referred to as the mystery kebab taco. 


From here



Which was more delicious than mysterious, I might add.

…until it made me very sick later on.  But that is neither here nor there.

ANYWAY.

We hung around this place until they began to turn off the lights (essentially telling everyone to get the hell out) HOWEVER, I did not leave without getting a panda balloon- you know, to help me celebrate the new year.



I was nervous that Dirk (our head of security) would look at me with his piercing (and slightly mean) eyes and say- no fun allowed- and pop my panda.

In reality, I thought he was going to pop it because it was filled with helium- and he would have deemed my cute little panda a fire hazard.

HOWEVER

Dirk was nowhere to be found.

The woman who conducted the search said “there are no bears allowed on board…”

And my heart sank.

UNTIL

She went on to say “…but perhaps just this once”

SCORE.

I got to keep my balloon, and I was able to sleep at night.

The following day, we did not have a plan (again)- but also did not have as much time to work with. SO, we visited little India (you know, to prepare for our coming port of India in a few weeks).

And while there, who do we find but Frances. It’s amazing- the fact that we manage to meet up in the most random places (aside from the piano lounge- which is not that strange seeing as we have established that to be our primary meeting spot).

There wasn’t much to say- no naansense in little India.

…eh? Eh?

We got some henna, shopped a bit, and our last few hours in port had flown by and we made our way back to the ship- naan in tow.

Things I love about today:
1. Singapore. Even though my time there was very short (and sort of uneventful)

2. Zoos. I really love zoos.
3. The fact that I finally got a Singapore sling in the terminal- as ghetto as it is (i.e. not being in a glass or made by a bartender)


Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts