The End?

Remember in my last post where I congratulated you on making it to the end of the world?


Weeeeell that is debatable.


I mean, obviously we did not cease to exist on December 21, 2012.


The world did not end by a coronal mass ejection, an asteroid, or a solar flare, but by something that has been festering long before our time.


I've given it some thought...and what I've come up with is that maybe the Mayans were onto something.

  
It seems to me that over the years, we have lost all respect for human life, the feelings of others, morals, and the land and resources that God has provided for us. The list could go on and on...and on and on, but ain't nobody got time for that.


I just need to get a few points across.


I understand that this post will not be the end of war, abuse, greed, waste, and lust, but perhaps it could grab you, shake you, make you do a silly dance (like in my last post), and compel you to change the way you view the world, the folks around you, and how both perceive you.

  
I can't really make you have some sort of revelation, and make you love everyone and hand out fun dip, but what I can do is challenge you to make the most of this new year (and umpteenth change at life) to make it one where you:


1. Spend your days putting others first, because it is selfless relationships and attitudes that lead us to happiness and a life closer to God. Those who insist on thinking about their own needs, plans, ideas, and wants first  only become lonely and feel insecure, because they have distanced themselves from people that care about them.


2. HOWEVER– you can’t be everything to everybody. Stop saying no to yourself and instead start saying no to others . I can't say no. I desperately need to work on that one.


3. Smile at strangers, you never know when someone needs one. It's a small sign that acknowledges their humanity, rather that just walking by with a look on your face that say "Man, I really just want to take a nap right now" Which, I am definitely occasionally guilty of. Certainly, it requires some amount of attention and energy to shoot someone a grin, but it could alter the way the person on the receiving end feels, and snap you out of nap mode.


4. Call a friend who knows how to make you laugh, tell you ridiculous things, and to help you to remember what it’s like not to take yourself too seriously. Now, if you know me, you know that I very rarely take myself too seriously, so this isn't something that I struggle with often, but when I start feeling down I pick up my phone and call my closest friends to catch up. Always always always brightens my day. 


5. Make crepes with Nutella and bananas for breakfast sometime. If you have never done this, your entire body hates you and you just don't know it. 



6. Accept that, in many situations, you are going to be the one who ends up loving more and loving longer. Whether this pertains to friendships or relationships, just know that it does not make you a bad or faulty person. You just need to find a way to get out of those ruts. 


7. Be honest with yourself about which friends are not challenging or encouraging you in the right ways (or in the right directions), and which friends may even be preventing you from doing the things you want to do, or bringing you down. DO NOT keep them around just because it is familiar, comfortable, or the ever popular excuse "they know too much." Life is not meat to be comfortable. Or easy. If it is, then you're playing it safe. 





And finally:    



 8. Be present in the moment, practice mindfulness, appreciate every person, act of kindness, smile, and note that comes your way. As we have learned from recent events and multiple news sources, life can be taken away swiftly and unexpectedly. Take the time to do all of the aforementioned things, not only for yourself, but for others as well. We were put in each others lives to better them, fill them with laughter, and pack them with love. 






Sorry for the cheesiness of this post.





Just kidding...I'm totally not sorry.







 I rarely am.



Sorry.


I came across the quote below the other day, and haven't been able to shake it since. So I'll end my post with this:



"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look at the stars" -Henry Van Dyke





I do not have a humorous video for todays post, but I do invite you to read all of these comments from this banana slicer:



http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047E0EII/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk





Have a glorious evening, kids.

Comments

Popular Posts