Delicious Mauritius

As you can probably tell- I have mastered the art of sending in my blog via email.



HOWEVER, I have not mastered the art of keeping up with it regularly. I'll work on that. I've got a month and a half left.



Woah. That last sentence felt a little scary to write. It doesn't feel like it's coming to a close, but as I add stickers to my map to trace our path, it becomes more real seeing that we only have three countries left (Well, four if you include England). Especially after being in Mauritius- it signified that we were officially out of Asia and moving onto Africa (I bless the rains..)



SPEAKING OF. This post is supposed to be about my (short but wonderful) time in Mauritius!



(I think I posted a photo of Mauritius from mine and Willa's window? Maybe?)



ANYWAY.



Mauritius was only added to our voyage as a logistical refueling port, but thankfully the powers that be decided that we could get off of the ship if we were on a field program.



Sort of like Hawaii.



We weren't going to be allowed to leave the ship unless we were on a field program- BUT, they changed their minds and everyone could get off of the ship, field program or not. So I figured they would do the same thing for Mauritius and I held off on purchasing a field program.



As the time of our arrival grew closer, they did not seem to be budging on who would be able to leave the ship- so I went to the field office to select one, but my choices were limited. Gone were the zip lining and scenic south tours (which most of my friends were on). Two options remained: beach clean up and the tea route.



I opted for the tea route, and went on my merry way.



When it came time to leave the ship, I felt kind of bummed that people would be seeing the sights of Mauritius from the trees and experiencing the culture—and I would be visiting a tea plantation/factory. HOWEVER, I love tea- so I knew I would enjoy the day regardless.



Boy, was I right.



We began the day at a colonial house (Domaine des Aubineaux- built in 1872)- which is now a museum dedicated to the history of Mauritian tea. That wasn't necessarily the exciting part…but it was a beautiful house with a little shop filled with tea, rum, and vanilla. My kind of place.






Next on our agenda was the tea factory- Bois Chéri. We got to see where the tea was grown, separated, fermented, and packaged.



A note about packaging of tea- I could have watched the machine seal tea into tea bags for hours. Me and a couple of people actually hung around for a little longer than the rest of the group (finding them again was a little difficult, but we managed). Totally. Worth. It.



It was also a nice tour because it smelled like tea. Every other tour that I've taken of a production facility has had the scent of machinery, oil, sweat, etc—but this place had a beautiful aroma comprised of all of the different kinds of teas grown and packaged in the factory.

I mean, just look at all these tea leaves.




I wish cameras could capture smells.



CANNON, SONY, NIKON, WHOEVER... GET ON THAT.



Moving along…we then went to this wonderful little (but actually quite large) place called the Saint Aubin House (built in 1819). This was the favorite stop on our trip.


First off, we had a (brief) tea tasting. (FINALLY. After all this time looking at tea leaves, and the process of how it gets into our cabinets). It was all sooo good. I don't think I've been this excited about tea since China. They had all kinds- but my favorites were coconut, mint, vanilla, and ginger. We'll see if they all make it home.



After our tasting, we had a wonderful lunch there (I now know that vanilla chicken is a very, very delicious thing that is not as odd as it sounds) and then moved on to our tour of the premises.





Not only do they have a tea shop, but they also have an anthurium greenhouse, a vanilla plantation, sugar canes, annnnd a rum distillery.



I DEFINITELY chose the right program.




The tour began in the greenhouse and seeing where the vanilla was grown- and I got sidetracked by the vanilla, and (you guessed it), lost the group. Well, all but two others. And it was the best thing that could've happened.



While everyone else struggled to hear our tour guide (well, those that cared to had difficulty)- I asked a woman who worked there to point in the direction that our group had traveled in- and she wound up giving us a private tour. This woman had been working there for over 10 years, and could tell us a lot about different aspects of each sector of the plantation.



She led us to the distillery, and in front of it was the large (and loud) machine. I asked her what it was for- and she said it was for extracting the juice from the sugar canes, then asked if I wanted to try. Of course I jumped all over the chance to use a large juicer. There's just something satisfying about the whole process. And knowing that the syrup that came from the cane that I put through the machine will someday be in a hearty bottle of agricultural rum. Mmm mmm mmm.



Even more satisfying still? She took us to a room for rum tasting, where there were only four other people in the room aside from our group of three. Meanwhile, the remainder of our SAS group were all crowded into another room- we had space to sit and relax and actually hear about the rum (as well as try it without waiting around).



Alas, the fun had to end. Back to the bus we went.




BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.



Our group asked if we could stop by a souvenir shop (for postcards, magnets, and whatnot) before we returned to the ship. Our tour guide obliged and gave us 20 minutes.



Have I told you that I'm collecting a musical instrument in every county? If not, then now you know. In every other country- I have had a few days to find an instrument- and I thought I didn't have the slightest chance of finding one in Mauritius. And I accepted it. But when they said we'd stop at a shop- I began to have faith. I walked into the store and only saw drums for the longest time (and I've already picked up two…there are only so many drums one person with no rhythm needs). THEN, I saw (the drum's cousin) a tambourine that had "Mauritius souvenir" painted on it along with a couple of people dancing.



HOW LUCKY AM I.


The collection continues. 




I returned to the ship a happy woman.



Mauritius was good to me, I'd certainly go back in a heartbeat.



Next time, however, I'd like to not be with school. So I can take rum home.


It was THAT good.



WELL, that's what I've got!




Things I love about today
1.   Tea
2.   New friends
3.   The fact that there were clouds in the sky, yet it did not rain




Thank you for reading!



PS- it is never too late to email me your address for postcards!
·      …unless I'm back at home. Which, I mean, I could send you a postcard…but it's not quite as cool. At least I don't think postcards from Lubbock can really compare to postcards from the destinations I've been going to. But whatever floats your boat.

Comments

Popular Posts