Victoria Falls Overland

As you can imagine, we had an incredibly early morning departure (4:45) for our flight to Zimbabwe. But I once again managed to make it on time and with everything I needed! 

I was pleasantly surprised to walk into the union and see that I had quite a few friends on my excursion! I really thought I’d be traveling with randos (WHICH, I have discovered is one of the best ways to meet some of the coolest people. Explore a foreign place. That’ll bring you real close.)

I knew that it would be a great trip. Our group of 16 was already clicking before the sun came up.

We had a long day of travel, so it is good that we enjoyed each others company. We flew from Cape Town to Johannesburg, and from there had a layover before flying to Victoria Falls. 

Our hotel (the kingdom ) was only a 5 minutes walk from the falls. Incredible, right? But we did not go until the last day. 

On our itinerary for the first day- all we had lined up was a river cruise along the Zambezi river. 

It was glorious. 

We expected a rickety boat (we've had experience with this) but we had a very nice boat! We had great drinks and saw some elephants and hippos along the way. We affectionately referred to this time as the booze jungle cruise.

 

pretty nice, huh? 




Once that was finished- we went back to the hotel for dinner....where I ate a mopane worm. Which, I understand in some cultures it is part of their regular diet- but our Texas taste buds were not into it.



 and I got a chance to use the (pretty good) wifi for-you guessed it- facetime! 

It's always nice to see my pals. And my boyfriend. He is really quite amazing for putting up with me going around the world and what not. And this was the first time I have gotten to talk to him since Myanmar! I really thought about how lucky we are to live in an age where facetime and skype (and other means of video chatting) exist. I’m not sure how I’d be able to handle only being able to send post cards. I love sending mail, but more as a novelty- not as a regular form of communication.

But- all good things must end and I had to get to bed, because the next day we drove to Botswana.

That's right, I got to cross off TWO more countries! Cool, huh? 

We drive through Chobe National Park, and saw all sorts of animals!

Impala, vultures, storks, Buffaloes, warthogs, mongoose, kudu, and my favorite...ELEPHANTS.



There was a herd that walked right in front of us to go play marco polo in the river.



…or maybe just to escape the heat.

But I bet that elephants like to have fun.

And we got to see them having fun from a different angle later that day!

We took another river cruise (not even close to as nice as our first boat- but we got up close and personal with some cool animals).

On this boat ride, our group got even more close. We connected through favorite childhood memories, things from the 90s (easy bake ovens, roller skating parties, etc.) and it was just fun. It’s easy to talk about where you are from, what school you go to, what you are studying…but to talk about silly things that we remember (and have in common) adds another dimension to our relationships.



Seeing an exotic place and animals also brings a group together.

…speaking of exotic animals…

That is what was on the menu that evening at a restaurant called The Boma.

Things I ate:
·      Alligator steak
·      Impala
·      Warthog (poor pumba)
·      Zebra

Weird, huh? But it was all so good.

Once the dinner was over, everyone in the restaurant was given a drum and we were led by another man with a bigger drum (must be some sort of complex). Then came a time to drop the drums and go to the dancefloor and give it purpose!



We headed back to Zim because the following morning, we visited Victoria Falls!

It was a very rare and incredible morning. Why rare, you ask? Because our meeting time was 08:30. Not 03:30, not 05:15- but )8:30!! Thank you, God for a "lazy morning"

...mainly because we were staying at a hotel that was a three minute drive from the falls. 


You have to walk a little ways to see the full view of the falls. With every scenic stop we took, it got more and more incredible. I couldn’t imagine it being any better than what we were already seeing. 

Here is the progression:







Let me tell you something, I believe that God is everywhere in nature. One of the places that I feel the most connected with God is on a mountain.

Let me tell you something else.

Our entire group saw God that day.

I’ve never seen anything so stunning and yet so simple.

Just standing there, being completely soaked by the mist of the falls (yes, the mist requires that you wear a long rain coat to “stay dry”) made me feel so small. I know the world is big. I know it is diverse- we are taught these things but cannot fully fathom them until they are seen or felt. 



I plan on going back someday. I just have to talk my husband into it. Or my parents. Or sisters. Orrrr SAS friends looking for a reunion.

Things I love about today:
1. Nature. And the fact that God reveals Himself in it.



There is no greater thing to love about today.

Have a blessed and wonderful day, folks.

Comments

Popular Posts